What's Going Down

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Fortune Cookie Ornament - A Tutorial

Every year, I make each of my children a handmade ornament so that when they get married/move away from home they'll have a nice little set of ornaments for their first tree.

That's the plan, anyway.

This year, I decided on some fabric fortune cookies I had seen on this blog, and holy cow! I love them!
So, let's get started shall we?

Here's what I used:
1/4 yd felt (I used a 30% wool felt blend)
1/4 yd coordinating fabric (I used a Christmas flannel)
Thread
Pinking shears
Ribbon



I traced the bottom of a quart sized paint can onto my fabric. I used a fabric marking pencil, but you could easily use a regular pencil or pen because you cut the edges off anyway.

I layered one felt circle with one fabric circle and had my daughter (who is 7 and desperately wanted to help) pin the center and four points around the edge. I had her pin it mostly to give her something to do, but also so they wouldn't wiggle around too much while I stitched them together.

Then I sewed them together using whatever seam allowance it is to the edge of my presser foot (you can tell that I'm totally a professional).

Then, using my awesome new pinking shears, I cut around my circles. Don't cut too close to your stitching!

Now, fold your circle in half with the patterned fabric side being on the inside. Estimate the center (I guess you could measure, but where's the fun in that?!). Stitch about one inch down the middle, leaving it unsewn at the top and bottom (oh just see the picture!). Note: I moved the presser foot away from where I'd sewn so you can see. Also, it can't hurt to backstitch over it a couple times.

Now, this is the part where it looks complicated, but once you've got it in your hands, you have a *lightbulb* moment. Simply, fold/flip the edges over.

And it'll look like this:

Do it to both sides and it'll look like this:

Play with the folding and shape until you get it the way you want it. Then cut yourself a four inch-ish piece of coordinating ribbon. Loop it and sandwich it inside the corner of the cookie.

Now, stick it back under your machine and stitch the ribbon in place. I tried to stitch on my original seams to keep it clean looking.

And voila! You're done!

Making one took me about 8 minutes. So, go to it!

Make a bunch. Some ideas I had:
They could be used for advent!
Attached to a gift with the "To/From" inside
Make a set and stick them inside a takeout box as a gift set for a friend.
Add fortunes.

My intention is to add a slip of ribbon or paper (sewn in) with each of my children's names and the year on them.

But freak! if they aren't the cutest ornaments on my tree right now!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are too cute, awesome job Alissa!!!

Melissa Lewis said...

Fantastic! Makes me want to get a sewing machine :)

Debbie said...

Very cute and creative! Jessica (Kerflop) has nothing on you! You impress me with your dedication to this tradition.

lacyboo said...

oh.my. so doing these this week!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

so freaking adorable, Liss!

Audrey said...

those are really awesome! i know someone who would love a box of those :)

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

They turned out AWESOME! Glad I didn't attempt to figure these out...I'd have failed.

Rachel said...

oh! so cute!

Renee said...

Those are really cute! I think I might have to copy. I like the idea of making your kids ornaments each year, too. It'll be really special for them when they get older.

Lei said...

So freaking cute! Seriously!!! Love them. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Those are so cute!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment on my wreath. I'm glad you did! I'm going to take a look around while I'm here.

~Lanie

Tracy said...

Love them! Thanks for sharing

Anna said...

oh these are so so cute! Reminds me of the fortune cookies I made as wedding favors for my wedding (they were a flop), but sure cute. I'll be making these!

Unknown said...

wow! I found you via Crap I've Made, and LOVE this ornament! I also like the idea of making the kiddos something for their first trees... hopefully our kids will never meet, cause I'm TOTALLY copying you!

Unknown said...

Adorable! Even more impressive that you did it with "help" from a shortie.

w said...

thanks so much for this! can't wait to make them!

Ty and Trista Swartzlander said...

Dang girl. You are one crafty Mama! That cookie would take me 80 minutes and turn out not so cute. Very cute idea!!

ba and the boys said...

so. freakin'. cute. im so making this!

Anonymous said...

Must get some pinking shears. I used to have some- but I think some boys disassembled them some time ago :(

Jenny said...

I'm in love. Would you please stop adding projects onto my must list.

Anonymous said...

Would that be about the size of a cd or the size of a 29 oz. can of peaches?

Alissa said...

peaches.

Company EIGHT said...

LOVE LOVE it!! Totally clever and adorable!

Unknown said...

Hi there! I thought that this was so great that I featured it in my "100 Jolly Christmas Crafts & Decorations"! Have a great day! http://www.aspectacledowl.com/100-christmas-crafts-decorations/

And BTW, I LOVE your header LOL

MrsSureFire said...

I've never posted a comment before - this was wonderful! Martha Stewart's instructions were way too confusing; I blew through a whole sheet of felt before I found your blog & found success!! thank you!

Read More

Related Posts with Thumbnails