What's Going Down

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Clean

I can be an honest mother when I admit that the time my children spend doing chores is one of my favorite parts of the day.

I know that when I was growing up, my parents tried so many times to get a regular cleaning schedule down.  It never really worked. Chore wheels, etc. Nada.

Here's what we've been doing for the last several months. Each of my older three children is assigned a job (for April, Miles has the Dining Room). After their homework is done and before they are permitted to do anything "fun", they need to do their job. This is the job for the entire month. The hope is that it encourages them to NOT make a mess in that room because they know they're going to have to clean it up later. Also, it helps them to know exactly what is expected of them in that room by having to do the same thing every day. So, even though Miles is only six, he has become quite good at wiping down the table, sweeping (or vacuuming the floor) and wiping down the chairs.

By the time the next month rolls around, my kids are sick of cleaning that particular job and more than happy to take on the next chore.

Lucas helps out wherever I can think of: emptying the dishwasher, laundry, helping with a very specific job or two. Libby mostly just runs around and undoes everything.

Now, I just need 5 or 6 more kids... one for each of the other rooms that I still have to clean.

No comments:

Read More

Related Posts with Thumbnails