What's Going Down

Monday, April 20, 2009

Green Thumb?

Part of the reason I was SO excited about buying a home was the possibility of a garden. Growing up we ALWAYS had a large garden. Did I say large? I meant HUGE garden. Lots and lots of tomato plants. Green beans. Peppers, peas, carrots, broccoli, and my favorite: Zucchini.

No, I'm not kidding. Sweet lovely zucchini cookies, breads, sauteed zucs. Mercy!

Unfortunately, we moved into our home about a month too late to start a real garden. What's that you say? It's still snowing in your backyard? What you need to know about FL's growing seasons is that there are three. The "summer" growing season actually starts in February and at the latest, early March. So, by the time we moved here, it was too late for my precious zucchini. The reason you have to get started so early here is because the sun become beastly quite quickly. By the end of May, you've basically just got your tomatoes left.


So, that's what we're doing. Tomatoes.

We've also got a lovely little herb planter going on: Sweet Basil, Cilantro, and just today I bought some Chives.


I have to tell you how much happiness it brings me to go out there and water my plants every day. Communing with nature and all that.


This last picture has me totally excited.

These are my baby grapefruits. Each of these pea sized green balls will, hopefully, be a delicious grapefruit eventually. I'm already drooling.

Seriously can't wait for the October growing season! The planning starts now!

11 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Awesome! There's a strange sense of accomplishment that comes from not killing things.

Maleen said...

Ooh, I had a grapefruit for dinner tonight. So delish.
It looks like you have a natural green thumb. My mother only killed plants and we never had a garden. I would like to say that I didn't inherit that gene. I would LIKE to say that...

Audrey said...

the baby grapefruit look promising...what a fun container garden you have going!

dastew said...

Impressive Liss, but what's this October growing season you're talking about

Melinda said...

Oh, your basil looks so pretty! How do you do it? I don't think you need my gardening books at all.

Jenny said...

I'm totally jealous. I really miss the garden we had in Utah. We could have had one here last summer, but we were gone for most of it. And this summer we move so...sigh.

Emily said...

I'm so jealous! Our growing season is so short here I hardly bother...

I'd still try a little zuccini- you never know!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

we so need to get started on ours. i want to do some herbs, too. i STINK at gardening, though.

ba and the boys said...

i want you to keep taking grapefruit photos so we can see them grow up! im jealous!

ba and the boys said...

oh and btw-i have been stalking your blog. such beautiful children!

Jane said...

Looks good! I am still trying to learn how to garden in the desert.
I love my grapefruit tree!

Read More

Related Posts with Thumbnails