What's Going Down

Monday, November 1, 2010

We be Piratin'

Every year I feel an intense amount of pressure to come up with handmade costumes for each of my children.

Why do I do this to myself? The answer is that I just don't know. It's totally unnecessary. And yet, every year... here we go.
 Miles decided on a pirate. That is, after I talked him out of Super Mario (because I know that at least 3 of his friends were being Super Mario... I prefer at least a teensy bit of originality... sorta.) He took his job seriously. There were a lot of "Ahoy Mateys!" and "Shiver me timbers" going around.
And Matt took his job of fashioning a Spanish-style sword very seriously.
Here's a closer shot of the hilt:
The hat was fabulously easy thanks in large part to a tutorial my sister sent.
I also made the vest and sash, but lets be honest... nothing special there. Overall, it was Miles's overacting that made this costume awesome.
And because, if one pirate is good, then two is great, right?
 Lucas loved it. He has been telling everyone for the last week that he's a pirate. A bad one.

But how could a pirate this cute, be bad?

7 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I don't know why I do it either. But at least we do it together? And Sabra's bad, too.

I always look forward to your insanely awesome weapons.

KID, MD said...

They are both adorable! The costumes are great and that sword is AMAZING!

I do it to myself every year, too. I think part of it is that too many of my friends know that I sew. There is this "Of course all of their costumes are handmade." mentality going around. Next time we move, I'm telling no one!

ba and the boys said...

i bet your mom never let you have a store bought costume ever! i can understand wanting to be like her.
your pirates are adorable! i love them!

Maleen said...

Wait, you totally left us hanging. What about the girls?

Jamie said...

@Char -Ditto on the awesome weapons! You need to post some tutorials for next year. :)

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

it's why we all get along so well.

LOVE the pictures. so fun. that sword is very impressive. is Lucas not loved enough to get one, too?

likeschocolate said...

I think the pirate is my favorite of Halloween costumes. Darling!

Read More

Related Posts with Thumbnails