What's Going Down

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Costume #3 - Halloween Fairy??

In my efforts to encourage Abbie to read books on her actual reading level (more like 5th grade), I told her that her Halloween Costume needed to be from a character a book. I suggested lots of awesome ideas like Laura Ingalls, Ramona Quimby, etc... She would have none of my suggestions.

She brought me this book (which, to be fair, she did actually read.) Ugh! Fine. Whatever. I didn't have the energy to fight anymore.

 Close enough, right? Just say yes. 

 I took a size medium adult woman's shirt, cut a hole in the neckband casing and slipped some elastic in to cinch up the neckline and I cut the sleeves off diagonally. We reused a sash from our ninja costumes from last year. The tights were a blessed find from JoAnns and honestly, I would have paid whatever they were asking because I was seriously stumped as to a homemade solution. The wings were also worth every penny I paid WalMart for them, because while I know you CAN make your own, I just wasn't about to.

I made the wand using tried and true methods of paper, cardboard, hot glue and duct tape.

3 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Adorable. Wish I had some costume making skills. Has she started any of the Harry Potter books? My two older kids loved the series.

likeschocolate said...

What a great costume! I love the tights.

Sara Lyn said...

My nieces both had costumes that were fairies from those books! Too fun.

Read More

Related Posts with Thumbnails