What's Going Down

Thursday, March 15, 2007

And now.. a word from our sponsors.

Random image, eh? This is My daughter, Abbie, holding a fantastic spoon that I've never used and a really cool heart shaped rock. Wow. Way to state the obvious.

This picture is for my dad, who I miss terribly. The full story, for those who care to hear it, is that my dad has a hobby he loves. LOVES. Like the way I feel about photography. Woodworking. My dad carved me this spoon. It's made of Birds Eye Maple. I'm told it was an extremely difficult wood to work with. He has carved each one of his daughters and daughters-in-law a spoon. I love my spoon. It does NOT get used in my kitchen. If something happened to it, I could never forgive myself... or the person who did it. I LOVE THIS SPOON. I hope to pass it on to my daughters, who can pass it on to their daughters, etc.

The rock, you see, had a very different artist. Abbie picked this rock up at Forgetmenot Pond in Alberta, Canada on our vacation last summer. "Look mom, a heart!" And of course, I had to admit, it was indeed heart-shaped. Amazing. Formed by Him. The big Him. Personally, I think He did a better job than any stone-carver could. And it took a really long time.

So I like to think that when I'm feeling down about my art (my art being photography, but also my kids and life in general...) about Him. And how very long it must have taken. And about how I am His art. I wonder if He ever feels discouraged? Just keep swimming, eh?

6 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

That was beautiful, and I'm not talking about the picture. Hang in there, Liss.

Alissa said...

p.s. i'm not feeling discouraged...

this message is for my dad.

sheri said...

So cool! All of it. The message, the rock, the spoon...

Amy (3 Peas) said...

Fabulous story :)
My dad is a woodworker too! I have some spoons made by him too- but none that big! :)

Anonymous said...

Alissa,
Beautiful story.

Speaking from experience, bird's eye maple is a VERY VERY strong wood. Hubby and I went through many blades trying to cut it. all those beautiful little knots are like rock to cut. It is also expensive if you try to buy it from a lumber mill. How we got our is a different story.

Your dtr finding the stone, amazing.

Kim, (Princess poses on Flickr)

Lee said...

Oh my gosh, what a great analogy. And how true. Love the message.

Read More

Related Posts with Thumbnails